Sunday, August 12, 2007

Summer is almost over

My summer ends brutally early. The 20th is my first day of prep for the new school year. I am ambiguous about the start of school this year. I have truly been spoiled by working in New Hampshire. I was making lots more money, I had a great boss, there was very little paperwork, and administrative bullshit was kept to a minimum. While I am always excited to take on new challenges and work with new kids; I can't seem to rid myself of the sadness at leaving my dream job in New Hampshire. I will have to be a big girl and get over it I suppose.

I guess the thing that really ticks me off is knowing how I will be treated. I've worked at this school before and they aren't bad people. I know they are trying their best to educate kids. The thing is they have a tendency to treat the teachers without any professional respect. I hate clocking in and clocking out like a factory worker. I hate that they insist on forms and 3 days notice before you can leave early for a doctors appointment or something at your kids school. I hate that they penny pinch the hours like we were irresponsible. They don't compensate you for the extra hours worked...they don't acknowledge the tons of extra time put in but heaven help you if you leave 10 minutes early. I so dislike that approach. They expect us to be professional and then treat us like a bunch of children. So if your late one morning and you spill coffee on your pants and your stuck at a traffic light and your 10 minutes late you have to sulk into the building like a teenager trying not to get caught. Sheesh....intolerable. Any other profession where people are at a masters level or beyond would never treat their employees like that. If we are salaried employees why are they treating us like hourly employees. I know, its stupid but it pisses me off. Teachers just aren't treated with much respect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a post written two years ago but since stumbling on it, I feel the urge to drop a note. Summer for me is all about hiring a moving company in Bergen County NJ for a cousin, brother or friend moving to a new house. This happens every year.