Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Weight Loss Journey

Where to start. I clearly remember the first time I was told I needed to lose weight. I was in sixth grade. I cried for what seemed like forever. Since that fateful day I have gained and lost more weight than I can possibly calculate. The ironic thing was that from sixth grade until after college I was never significantly overweight. It wasn't until I was married and my thyroid stopped working that I became overweight. I sure would have liked to have enjoyed the 11 years that I only imagined that I was overweight. The last 17 years have been filled with dieting, not dieting...gaining and losing....over and over. I am worn out from worrying about it. At some point I just gave up thinking I could ever become as "overweight" as I was before my thyroid stopped working. Though to be honest my thyroid is only one factor in my weight battle. I know that quitting smoking, having three kids, suffering from occasional bouts of depression, and dealing with my husbands deployments, and regular old stress contributes to the problem. Oh yeah, I also eat too much. Once again, I am trying to eat more sensibly and exercise more. I just feel defeated before I even begin. Not an auspicious way to start a diet. I am sick to death of dieting but I haven't much choice. I am once again at what I consider to be maximum density. It's time to do something. Wish me luck, I need all the help I can get.

1 comment:

Deadpoolite said...

Not one to pass judgement since I had my ups and downs in this matter... For 3 months now I 've been in a more sensible path shall we say and it really pays off. Personally, I think it is a matter of considering the whole process as more of a learning process of how to eat more sensibly rather than diet. "Diet" is a cruel word no doubt about it, so try to change the little things in your nutrition.

Personally, I gained a lot of weight during my study years and most of it was due to the in-between meals, snacks and refreshments like coke and such. I am no expert but as long as you see the whole thing more like a videogame (I love my videogames what can I do, oh I am weak so weak,lol) rather than an ordeal it will go smoother. You know, eat an apple and some yoghurt (10 points), kill the crave for that sweet or eat a little sweet (20 points), that kind of thing. Besides with three kids I am sure you are getting enough exercise as it is...

Good luck with your effort and just take it slow, noone is chasing you (what am I? a master dietician or what,lol, not even close)

I do have a relevant giggly post about it in my blog should you visit at any time.