Saturday, July 7, 2007

Swim Meet Heat

Take a lot of sun, add a bit of blazing heat, one pool, and a few hundred kids...what do you get? A very long swim meet. Phew...it is so hot here in Virginia. Living in New Hampshire the last few years has spoiled me. It is rarely over 90 and even if it does get hot during the day it cools off at night. This weekend we are dealing with the sun and heat and the drama of competition.

My boys are having a good meet. We have seen lots of time drops and they should be pleased with themselves. We have also had some not so great swims. Unfortunately, that is the reality of sports. Not every event will be your absolute best. The boys are still learning how to handle those disappointments. Tomorrow is another day and they will each have 4 or 5 more races. Hopefully they will have another good day. As for me,I will be trying to keep from melting. As miserable as it is to sit in the heat all day I wouldn't miss it for the world. I love watching my boys swim. I love seeing them do well, seeing them do poorly, seeing them do it all. I love just being there with them.

We all miss our friends in New Hampshire. We miss the families that have become like family to us. They are irreplaceable and of course we are trying to convince them to move to Virginia and join us. (Did I say it was hot...no its not! Every day is perfect and lovely...it never rains...never freezes...its amazing here *grin*) Until they all move to Virginia, it is nice to have new families to hang out with at swim meets. The new team is really small right now and the families are great. They have been very welcoming and have gone out of their way to make my kids feel at home. That's what is great about swimming....great families.

No comments: