Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Weight: It's a heavy topic

Even thinking about weight and weight issues makes me feel heavily laden. Every magazine I pick up has a weight loss solution somewhere inside. It seems that everywhere I look people are discussing or reading or listening to information on weight loss. TV has shows that center around people's struggles to lose weight. Last night I saw a show that centers around doctors that specialize in helping obese people. It is everywhere. I am so sick of it. I hate feeling like my self worth and everyone else's for that matter is measured in pounds. Sure I want to be thinner, that's not the point. It is the obsession with it that is oppressive. There are so many important things to worry about in this world. Far too much energy is spent on the weight issue. I am trying hard to eat less, exercise more, etc, etc, ad nauseum...but its hard to remain sensible about it when the underlying message that I am being barraged with is that I won't be OK, I won't be acceptable until my BMI is in a certain range. I won't be valuable until my weight is under a certain number or until I fit into clothes that are a particular size. It is a particularly unpleasant feeling thinking that before people know you they are judging your worth by your pant size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The health issue is one thing; that's a growing (har!) problem that really needs to be dealt with. Thinness as a standard of beauty is something else again. My 11-year-old daughter is falling for the 'you must be very thin to be worth anything at all' message and it's scaring the hell out of me.